The Comoros is an island nation in the Indian Ocean, located off the eastern coast of Africa on the northern end of the Mozambique Channel between northern Madagascar and northeastern Mozambique. The nearest countries to the Comoros are Mozambique, Tanzania, Madagascar, and the Seychelles. Here's the map.
Potentially a holiday paradise with picture-postcard beaches, but the three Indian Ocean islands have experienced more than 20 coups or attempted coups, beginning just weeks after independence from France in 1975.
Several diving sites are available along the coast. Such as the Vailheu Bank, a deep-sea coral reef where pelagic fish roam. Also, the wreck of the “Massiwa”, a 260-foot cargo ship located north of the island. The abundant sea life you can see are dolphins, electric rays, schools of barracuda, lionfish, moray eels, crocodile fish, anemones, clownfish, jewfish, gorgeous coral formations, magnificent barrel sponges, anemones and clownfish, sharks, rays, turtles, giant wrasses.
In the waters around the islands, lives the famous coelacanth. It is a unique fish once thought by western scientists to have been extinct for millions of years. But in the second half of the last century, an ichthyologist learned that Comorian fishermen regularly caught coelacanths in the deep waters surrounding the islands of Ngazidja (Grande Comore) and Nzwani (Anjouan). Several specimens have since been preserved and can be seen today in museums around the world.
- The Vailheu Bank, a deep-sea coral reef where pelagic fish roam.
- Another exceptional dive is the wreck of the “Massiwa”, a 260-foot cargo ship located north of the island.
- Visas - A fee is charged depending on length of stay; nationals are advised to contact the embassy for further information.
- Health - A variety of vaccinations are required - Diphtheria, Hepatitis, Malaria (see link below), Rabies (sometimes), Tetanus and Typhoid.
- Hepatitis E is widespread.
- Hepatitis B is hyperendemic.
- Vaccination against tuberculosis is sometimes advised.
|Language:||Arabic & French|
|Diving season:||Year round|
|Water temperature:||24 - 26C|
|Air temperature:||24 - 28C|