US Virgin Islands
US Virgin Islands are a group of islands in the Caribbean that are an insular area of the United States. The islands are geographically part of the Virgin Islands archipelago and are located in the Leeward Islands of the Lesser Antilles. Check out the map.
The U.S. Virgin Islands consist of the main islands of St Croix, St John and St Thomas, along with the much smaller but historically distinct Water Island, and many other surrounding minor islands. The trio of islands has one thing in common: great diving. From wrecks to soft-coral covered piers and walls that plunge into the abyss.
Otherwise, each island has its own distinctive qualities: St. Thomas has its shopping and beaches, St. Croix has its laid-back attitude and rugged beauty and quaint St. John has its artistic eco-environment. A ferry connects the islands of St. Thomas and St. John while St. Croix is a short 25-minute flight away.
Of the three islands, probably St Croix offers the best diving with the wall dives. St Thomas & St John have easy dives and occasionally you may see nurse sharks and turtles. Not the best place for exciting diving, but if you want it laid back and not too energetic, then it is worth considering.
[Images © Brian Seigel Photography - all rights reserved]
- Andreas Reef - on St Thomas, known for its variety of tropical fish
- Buck Island Reef National Monument - a protected area on St Croix with markers describing marine life
- Carval Rock - for advanced divers, on St John
- Salt River Canyon - one of the most popular sites, also on St Croix
- Submarine Alley - an advanced dive site, also on St Thomas, with large coral islands
- Entering the US Virgin Islands is the same as entering the USA so expect heightened security meausures.
- No vaccination requirements for any international traveller.
|Language:||English widely used|
|Time:||GMT - 4|
|Natural hazards:||Hurricanes, frequent and severe droughts and floods. Occasional earthquakes|
|Diving season:||12 months|
|Water temperature:||Jan to March - 24C/75F|
|June to October – 27C/80F|
|Hyperbaric chambers:||St Thomas|