Switzerland is bordered by Germany, France, Italy, Austria and Liechtenstein. Here's the map.
Switzerland may not seem like a prime scuba diving destination with its cold European climate, mountains and land locked borders. It is better known for mountain hiking, cycling and skiing than for water sports. However, don't be fooled, Switzerland does provide some interesting options, namely lake and river diving.
Lake diving in Switzerland is the more popular of these two types of diving, especially in the bigger and deeper lakes, such as Lake Zurich and Lake Geneva. The larger lakes in Switzerland are quite deep and some even have sheer face drops providing excellent opportunities for wall diving. River diving is less popular, although hardcore enthusiasts will dive just about anywhere they can. Both types ofdiving offer interesting things to see including different marine life and geological formations.
- The Chateau de Chillon where there are 4 walls.
- The Hirondelle wreck was a 1855 passenger cruiser. It sunk after hitting a rock on the 10th June 1862. The stern starts at 43 m and the bow is at 67 m. It's a wonderful wreck and in a very good condition.
- La Cochère which is a fragile wreck.
- Fenalet , La falaise bikini which is a wall going down to 200 metres.
The wreck of the Jura which, in 1865, collided with the Swiss ship Stadt Zürich and sank near Bottighofen. She lies at a depth of 36 metres. Thanks to the dark and cold water, the ship is very well preserved. Discovered in 1964 by a diver, the wreck has been badly damaged as a result of intensive scuba diving. Dive boats have accidentally anchored in the wreck. Loose objects have been stolen by trophy-hunters and part of the structure has collapsed.
- The Hirondelle is a deep dive, so is for advanced divers only. Make sure you use a local guide who knows the area well.
|Language:||French, German, Italian and Romansh|
|Climate:||Temperate, but varies with altitude|
|Natural hazards:||Avalanches, landslides, flash Floods|
|Diving season:||Year round|
|Water temperature:||Winter 3C (39F)|
|Summer 20C (68F)|
|Air temperature:||Winter -1C (30F) - Zurich|
|Summer 18C (64F) - Zurich|