Iran is bounded by the Gulf of Oman and the Persian Gulf to the south and the Caspian Sea to its north. It's capital being Iran. Iran became a unique Islamic republic in 1979 when the monarchy was overthrown and religious clerics assumed political control under supreme leader Ayatollah Khomenei.
Kish is an Iranian island and city in the Persian Gulf and is one of the main dive centres. It is 18 km off the southern coast of Iran; a 20 minute flight from Dubai by jet aircraft. Due to its status as a free trade zone, you do not require a visa to enter. It is touted as a consumer's paradise, with numerous malls, shopping centres, tourist attractions and resort hotels.
- Kish Island - the island has many coral reef dive sites and fantastic visibility.
- Hendorabi Island
- Anyone planning to visit from the West will need a visa, which can be obtained from the Iranian Embassy. Israelis are not permitted entrance to Iran, and if you have an Israeli visa in your passport, you will be denied entry.
- A note about safety for women: 20 years ago, Iran became an Islamic Republic, which means, unfortunately, Islamic rules MUST be observed. Hijab (the word hijab primarily refers to women's head and body covering) is a must for women. If you are not covered (in Tehran, it is less restrictive than the rest of the country), you will be harassed, if not detained by police. A simple pair of socks and a headscarf with a pair of pants and a loose shirt is what you need to have on before coming to Iran.
- Women should not walk alone in the city, or visit cafés/bars/restaurants alone other than those in Western hotels.
- It is not customary for men and women to shake hands.
- It is not polite to blow your nose in company.
|Natural hazards:||Earthquakes, sand storms|
|Diving season:||12 months|
|Water temperature:||19C/66F (Winter)|
|Air Temperature||January 13C/55F|